Well rumors have flown across the Internet for some time now on the the release of the new Zune units the new blue 8GB Zune, 16GB Zune, and the big daddy of Zunes the 120GB Zune! Microsoft has released an official release here.
Some notables to take away from this that the Zune 3.0 firmware will be available for all Zunes on September 16th and the price points of the various sizes; the first 30GB, 4($129)/8($149)/16($199) GB Flash units, and newer 80($229)/120($249)GB hard drive units. Notice there is very little price margin between models phasing out the older models as they are slowly removed from retail, which I see coming in at even lower prices this Holiday season or maybe on Woot!
- It gets a Clock in the upper right hand corner- yeah great for runners and those who don't wear time pieces.
- Some free games “Hexic” and “Texas Hold ’Em”
- Option to purchase or download from FM radio via RDS+ data depending if you have Zune Pass or not
- Link to the Social via hotspots that don’t require internet browsers to agree to TOS.
- Support for audiobooks including content from audible.com and overdrive.com
There is a great summary of what was added over at the insidecircle.net by Neville Williams.
A few other Zune MVPs have even posted videos worth checking out.
Zune Gaming and Wireless Song Purchasing Experience over at ZuneThoughts
Texas Hold ‘em and Hexic from ZuneLuv
Zune Software Features- Zune Fall 2008 from Microsoft at the Zune Insider
Zune Fall 2008 Wireless Features
Zune Fall Update: Channels
Zune Fall update: buy from FM
Over at Kombo rumor has it that MS has purchased some air time on the g4TV network on September 25th and should be announcing the following:
- Free DLC (Down Loadable Content) for Halo 3, and paid DLC for Mass Effect and GTA IV
- Six free Xbox Originals for download - we all love some of those Xbox original games
- A partnership with Sirius Satellite Radio (please be free for existing customers)
- 12 new exclusive titles, including 2 Halo games (as well as the supposed Peter Jackson Halo project, and the game Bungie was supposed to premiere at E3)
- A new music download service or some gaming music
Hopefully there will be some truth to these rumors, we will have to just wait and see.
According to Engadget it looks like Xbox Live Music Marketplace and Video will be shared with Zune according to Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore and legal measures had to take place in the background before we see a merge of the two services in the future.
According to this job post it looks like Windows Mobile will also be in the Marketplace mix as people have begged and hoped for.
“The Zune team is embarking on the mission to create a “Connected Entertainment” experience, realized through the Zune service, that spans multiple devices such as Zune, Xbox, PC and Mobile phones...Do you dream about having a mobile phone based entertainment experience powered by a unified entertainment service across devices such as Zune, Xbox and PC?”
So if you are looking to compete the tri-fecta of Microsoft technology: Windows Mobile, Zune, and Xbox it looks like the new $199 price for the Xbox Arcade looks pretty good for the bedroom or spareroom.
Also If you would like to win one of the Blue ones Chris Leckness is giving one away over at GotZune. :)
Note: You also get 20% off any Zune Accessory and $20 off this Speaker Dock at Amazon with this Code: ALTECSAV